Monday, August 4, 2008

Pizza

Homemade Pizza. Scary thought? No longer.


Although my brother Nate is the world's leading expert in homemade pizza, I think mine is relatively decent. I've tried several crust recipes, and finally tweaked a few enough that I've found my own. Here it goes.
First, measure 2 cups really warm water.
Pour the warm water into a clean bowl.
Measure out 2 tablespoons of active dry yeast.
Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the water. Mix well.

This is proofing your yeast. It looks disgusting, but it's a really important step.

Add 1/2 cup corn meal to the yucky looking mixture.


Looks gross, but it's alright.

Add 1/4 cup of olive oil (I use e.v.o.o.).


Add about 4 teaspoons coarsely ground sea salt. Trust me: the taste is the best!
Add 2 1/2 cups white flour, and 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour. Unless you don't like whole wheat... than just add 5 cups white flour.
Mix in the flour until it's really well incorportated.

Stop mixing when the dough has picked up most of the excess flour on the sides of the bowl.

To assure the texture is correct, press your thumb into the dough...
your thumb print should stay, but slowly puff back out.
Form the dough into a ball.
Cover your dough, and leave it in a warm, dry place.
The dough is ready to work with when it's doubled in size. The temperature and humidity of your kitchen will affect this time; the hotter and less humid, the less time it takes to rise. This took about 45 minutes.

Punch down the dough.


Divide your dough into desired portion sizes. This recipe makes about 4 medium pizzas.

Get your pizza stone out,
and sprinkle it with corn meal.



Press a portion (depending upon how big you want it to be... this is one third of the dough)

all over your pan until it is about 1/4 inch across the surface of the stone.


Spread sauce up to the edge, as far as you'd like.

Layer whatever it is that you like on your pizza. This one has cheese and turkey pepperoni.


Top it off with another layer of cheese.


We made another one in a rectangle pan, and used zucchini, crook neck squash and tomatoes.


Bake in a 500 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.



Bon appetite!


Pizza

2 cups really warm water (about 120-130 degrees)
2 tablespoons (or 2 packets) active dry yeast
1/2 cup corn meal
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cups flour

Proof yeast in water. Add remaining ingredients, incorporating after each addition. Let rise, covered, until doubled in size. Spread desired portion amount over prepared pan. Top as desired. Bake at 500 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

2 comments:

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

I'm often looking for good bread recipes! Thanks, I'll try this! Another fun thing I like to do with homemade pizza is to use alfredo sauce instead of pizza sauce. Or spinach dip. Sounds crazy, I know, but spread some spinach artichoke dip on the dough and totally cover it with tomato slices and mozzarella before you bake it. Yum. Thanks, Chef Steph!

Candice J said...

I love that you have started this blog!! Now I really want to get my laptop fixed and find a space in my kitchen to set it up so I can follow your easy steps! You make it seem easy enough that even I can do it!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Love you!!!