Thursday, August 14, 2008

Angel Food Cake

An angel of a friend loves angel food cake, so I decided to make it for her. I just love making cakes for people on their birthday!

Please don't be afraid of making this delicate cake from scratch. Repeat after me, "I can do it! I can do it".

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Get out a tube pan. Do not grease it. Yeah, I know... it's tempting to grease it... just don't.
Sift together 1 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Really actually sift. I usually skip the sifting for other recipes, but this time it's actually important to sift. Set aside.

In your clean mixing bowl, put 12 egg whites. Really, it's best if the eggs have been sitting on the counter for about 20 minutes so that they're not super cold. They beat up better.
Add 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter to the egg whites.
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla to the eggs.
Now it gets fun! Beat the egg mixture until soft peaks form.
Cool, huh.

Slowly add 1 cup sugar to the eggs.
Beat this until stiff peaks form.
Slowly fold in the flour and powdered sugar mixture that you sifted.
Transfer the batter into your clean tube pan that you did not grease.

Put the cake into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. You will know it's done when you touch the top (gently) and it springs back.

Remove the cake from the oven and immediately flip the pan upside down. My mom always put it over a soda bottle. You want the cake to cool evenly.
Gently remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely.
See? Not so tough to do!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rach said...

I love the cooking blog! Cakes made from scratch are the best. Same with homemade pizza. I will have to try your pizza dough recipe. I think my hubby will like it with the cornmeal in it (we usually do half wheat/half white, too.)