Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Buttermilk Spudnuts

Okay, before any dies of shock (since I'm actually posting again), please accept my apology. It's not that I haven't cooked or baked since October... I just haven't posted.
With hope, this recipe will make up for it.

Is this thing on? Is anyone there?

Buttermilk Spudnuts

Ingredients:
1/2 cup really warm water
1 1/2 cups warm buttermilk
4 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed potatoes (I usually use instant)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
6-7 1/2 cups flour

Instructions:
Pour water and buttermilk into a bowl; sprinkle yeast into the liquid and ignore it for about 5 minutes. Don't worry, it won't mind. In a separate bowl beat the butter until it's good and soft. Blend the sugar, potatoes, salt and nutmeg into the butter until all ingredients are nice and smooth. Add the eggs to this concoction. Cut 6 cups flour into the gooey mess. Stir in the yeasty buttermilk/water mixture, and go to town blending. The dough should be a little more sticky than bread dough, but not as stiff. Add more flour, if needed, 1/2 cup at a time. Let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
Roll out dough onto floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Let rise for about 45 minutes (the dough should just about double in size). Cut into desired shapes... I prefer cutting them into 1 inch by 3 inch strips because they cook very evenly and are just the right size for my kids. Fry in hot canola or vegetable oil about 1-1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer cooked donut onto paper towels so all the excess oil will soak into the towels rather than into your thighs. Glaze while still warm and enjoy! This recipe makes a whole bunch of donuts, so invite some friends over for the fun!

Glaze:
1 package powdered sugar (2 lbs.)
1/2-1 cup liquid of choice (milk, buttermilk, orange juice, milk and maple syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix until desired consistency. I add about 1/2 cup liquid at a time. Generally speaking, I will make half of the glaze just a regular vanilla and the other half a flavored king (like maple syrup flavor). My kids really like the variety. Use any left over glaze for your extra dipping pleasure.

2 comments:

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

I'm here! Double yum!!! I will try these!

Kendra said...

LoL that sound yummy. You have a really cute writing style :}