Thursday, October 23, 2008

Simple and Low Fat Stroganoff

Autumn is a great time to start pulling out the comfort foods we all love. Stroganoff is one of my all-time favorites. Although traditionally, it's loaded in fat, I've tweaked this baby to make it leaner and healthier.

Let's get started!

Place in a hot skillet with a little extra virgin olive oil, one onion, sliced into thin rings.

Cook over medium heat, allowing them to begin to brown.
Slice up left over steaks, or use 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (browned and drained). This is one and one half sirloin steaks, thinly sliced.
Add the beef to the browning onions.
*Note: at this point, I would love to have added sliced mushrooms. No one in my family would have eaten dinner (other than me!) if I would have added the mushrooms. If your family's not as picky as mine, add 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms to the meat and onions.
Stir, and let the meat heat up.

Now get one small container of fat free sour cream, and two cans of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup. Yes, it's cheating. Yes, it's delicious.
Pour the entire contents of the sour cream and soup into the skillet over the meat and onions. Season according to taste (I added some garlic salt and ground black pepper).
Stir together, and allow to simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
While simmering, cook a package of egg noodles. Wait a minute! This picture is spaghetti: you're right. We had a mystery at our house--- the egg noodles disappeared! I would normally NEVER use spaghetti in stroganoff, but mysteries like this warrant immediate improv. It works. Just don't tell my mother.

If the preference is a super saucy stroganoff, serve the sauce over the noodles. If you like it less saucy (like my kids), stir the hot, drained pasta into the sauce. Serve it hot, and know that you've done a great job making a super simple yet delicious home cooked meal!

2 comments:

Rach said...

I do stroganoff the same way - with sour cream and cream of mushroom! Yum!

Kendra said...

if you want to try something good, add a pinch of nutmeg.